It’s my birthday, and this year I’m turning the grand age of 19 and starting to feel a bit like Joey from Friends (“Why, God, why? We had a deal. Let the others grow old. Not me.”)
To celebrate, I wanted to put together a list of 19 Things I’ve Learned In 19 Years to share my wisdom (or otherwise…) with all of you. Let’s start at the very beginning!
- Early childhood videos are priceless.
- Netflix is a gift from the gods.
- If you save your “best” clothes for “best” occasions, you never wear them.
- I would make a very good elf.
- BodyCombat classes are hard. Really hard.
- It’s legitimately impossible to find a true red or black food colouring for fondant.
- There’s no shame in pyjama days.
- iPhones are indestructible. I’ve dropped mine so many times it should be in a hundred pieces by now.
- People don’t tell the people they love that they love them often enough.
- Good quality hairbrushes make life worth living.
- There is absolutely no shame in taking medication for mental illnesses.
- You always gain something from a bad situation – whether it’s strength, experience, or self awareness.
- It is more satisfying to create a bucket list at the start of the year than make New Years resolutions.
- Sunshine can change your mindset entirely.
- Pancakes with chocolate are better than pancakes with berries.
- Acting your age is waaayyyyy overrated.
- If you’re building a structure out of gingerbread, always use royal icing as the glue.
- Rejection hurts, but it won’t kill you.
- Novelty mugs make bad days better.
My plan for the day is to be around my favourite people and, of course, eat an excessive amount of cake. I hope you all have a wonderful day, and happy my-birthday to you!